Chemotherapy is one of the common treatment options for many types of cancer. Chemotherapy uses drugs to destroy the developing cancer cells. Chemotherapy is planned to perform several functions. It helps treat cancer, repetition, stops its spread, or slows its growth. It can shrink large tumors and help relieve pain and other cancer-related symptoms. As a cancer treatment, chemotherapy may be used alone or in combination with other options. Other cancer treatments are often used along with chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy drugs kill cancer cells, but they also damage healthy cells in the process. Hence chemotherapy has side effects such as fatigue, chapped lips, stomach problems, and hair loss.
Types of Chemotherapy for Cancer treatment
- Alkalizing agent
- Plant alkaloids
- Antitumor Antibiotics
This is the most common way of doing chemotherapy when patients are given injections of chemotherapy drugs during treatment. Such injections are given either intravenously or through a chemo port, where the drug enters the bloodstream directly.
Benefits of Chemotherapy for Cancer treatment
- It can reduce or slow down the effects of cancer.
- Chemotherapy after surgery may reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
- The patient remains in touch with the doctor for regular check-ups, and tests and is assured by this,
- In some people, in the early stages of cancer, chemotherapy can shrink cancer so much that it can be completely removed with surgery.
Side Effects of chemotherapy
- Muscle pain
- Abdominal pain
- Pain from nerve damage, such as burning, numbness, and severe pain in the fingers or toes.
About Dr. Sajjan Rajpurohit
Dr. Sajjan Rajpurohit has been a practicing physician for the past 22 years. He is a qualified MBBS with MD in Medicine and DNB in Medical Oncology and currently he is Director of Medical Oncology at BLK Super Speciality Hospital.